So it Begins.....

Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

I am Ruby Rhob - and I think I am level 5, not certain.

I have not been online in the past 2 days.

This game is getting hammered on the forums... I guess people had some high expectations.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

Welp - I tried to log in to get an idea on my level - - can't log in atm - the server is not liking me atm.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Going to try to hit level 6 to try the klingons if I can ever login.

Not looking promising though, the game is just too simple (space combat, ground combat etc), immersiveness just isn't there, I don't really feel like I'm commanding a starship, more like a fighter pilot with very little control over my ship. VERY poorly done inside systems with just 1 planet?!? Constant loading because of everything being instanced. The graphics/animations aren't that hot either for a new mmo.

Plus everything is instanced (~50 max per server looks like), no craft/economy to speak of, doesn't make much of a world. It feels like a beginner introductory mmo for first-timers. It's easy to pickup though for VERY casual players.

Even so I think they are pretty crazy if they are releasing as it is (lots of bugs I have found). They could use another 3 months to polish/fix the bugs.

Game will get boring fast.
Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

I am kinda bummed I already purchased the game, but might wait a while to initiate the subscription.

In the current enviroment, there is no need to be online on day/month one - - might just wait a bit.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

You get the first month free if you purchased the game? I am assuming you can't cancel a pre-order like on amazon.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Star Trek Online is on Server Overload
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Star-T ... ,9587.html

After one day, Star Trek Online servers are already overloaded.

ZoomTuesday marked the official launch of Cryptic Studio's MMORPG, Star Trek Online. Proving that Trek isn't just for geeks, fans flocked to the just-launched PC game and have now overloaded the servers, catching Cryptic by surprise. Unlike other MMORPG launches, Star Trek Online came packed with a pre-installed fan base stretching back to the 1960's, making this overload unsurprising.

The Star Trek Online beta, launched last month, suffered the same fate, enduring a flood of players that locked up the log-in system and thus prevented this annoyed gamer from checking out Roddenberry's virtual world. Cryptic eventually alleviated the burden by optimizing and expanding the MMORPG's server-base, however now it seems that those efforts weren't enough for the full-fledged launch.

"Throughout Head Start we noticed the overwhelming response to the game and we are working on changes to further increase the number of people who can play Star Trek Online at any given time," the company said. "Our current plan is to have these changes in place sometime this coming weekend. We will, of course, keep you updated on progress as it happens."

Atari recently announced that Star Trek Online already has over one million registered users. This probably includes the players of the now-closed beta program. Still, recent troubles sounds like something needs a nice, warm warp core injection, eh Scotty?
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

http://trekmovie.com/2010/02/02/star-tr ... und-video/

Star Trek Online Launches With Over 1 Million Accounts + New Ground Video + Playable Starfleet Klingons & Ferengi Added To Store

February 2, 2010 by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Star Trek Online , trackback

After years of waiting, the massive multiplayer game allowing you to play in a persistent universe of Trek’s 25th century is online, and according to Cryptic they have already logged in over 1 million registered accounts at the official websites. STO is also the top selling PC game Amazon. Cryptic has also added the first two purchasable in game items: playable Starfleet Klingons and Ferengi. More details below, plus a new ground combat video.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

LoL - Added to Store - - so I guess they are just looking to get as much money as possible in the early months.