NEW MMO: Rift : Open Beta for 6 days (Feb 15) Register NOW!

Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

ok i'll log back on Seastone, i was there earlier but went to watch the hockey game 3rd period and it timed out.
Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

My connection is ass, I really need to switch off time warner, I get a rocking 500k during prime time so the patch takes about 3 hours for me. It'll be done soon, but I'll be in bed by then.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I started a beastmaster/champion this morning. So far, other than the 'multi-classing' it doesn't seem all that different from any other MMO. The autoloot everything is kind of neat and saves time. I don't see it as a WoWKiller though, unless there is some major improvement somewhere deep in the game that they aren't being very clear on...
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

Ok, in reading I'm seeing a few more interesting things that may prove good to me. My concern is I really don't want to play on a PvP server - unlike most of you I have no interest in PvP but want to do content and dungeon raids. I'll be trying to determine if any of that is interesting to me.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

It feels a lot like War Hammer Online meets Diablo II. I am doing a Warlock/Necro Mix - so far so good, but like Dagda mentions, this game does not bring a huge amount of originality to the party.

Only level 3, so will level up to say 5-6 and return with comments.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I'm seeing a bit more originality the more I read. Rift locations are random, and are slightly like the public quests in Warhammer, but with random location and type of event. I really need to try out the instancing to see what I like. I like that the callings are not role defined but rather playstyle defined. i.e. you can be a rogue that tanks (Riftstalker) or a warrior with a pet (Beastmaster). Each calling seems to have a 'soul' that has a dps function, a buffing function, a cc function, a pet class function, a healing function (maybe I haven't looked into that too fully as yet) and a tanking function (champion, riftstalker, cleric, not sure if there is a 'clothie' tank class as yet.)
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Yes you guys are spot on. From what I've seen and read Rift has tried to keep the same feel as the 'older' mmo's and just improve on them (such as the public quests from warhammer, soul system, rifts opening to add dynamic content randomly, pvp, etc).
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

I'll be around in a bit. I tried bard/bladedancer combo yesterday and that was a lot of fun. Bards are very versatile/enjoyable.

I'll talk more in depth about PvP / server types in another post. Still trying to get a better feel for the differences. But to give a brief overview:

PvP servers are still faction vs faction (not free for all). So this is RvR (similar to daoc/warhammer). First 20 levels and two starting areas are safe unless you turn on your PvP flag. This is what makes up world PvP.

You can level in scenarios like in warhammer but in Rift they are called warfronts. I believe it begins at L10 the first tier.. (10-19, 20-29, etc) These are instances of course on both types of servers and you can end up fighting people from another server. Dungeons are also instanced (except port scion I think).

Port Scion is a warfront for end game. I am not sure if this is going to be open world or instanced, no one has seen it in beta/its not ready yet. It will allow people to either PvP or PvE there with goals that benefit your faction.
Last edited by Raf on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

Welp level 8 before the system update/shutdown.

I do enjoy the game so far - can't say I understand it very deeply, but deep understanding was never my strong point.

I am a Warlock/Necro/Pyro mix. - I do like this mix - simple pet for steady melee - also takes agro if I get jumped. - Lots of DoT (3 so far that stack) - decent DD with a much improved DD at level 9 - and an instant DD for those special moments.

So far I do enjoy it, bu don't know if I like it enough to time sink in to it.

Not to mention I am playing DAoC (Free Shard) with 2 of my 3 girls - so that takes time as well.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Do you RvR with your girls? I heard the leveling was slow on the shard, is that true?
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

Well I've settled on a Void Knight/Paladin/Beastmaster and hit level 6. Void Knight is pretty nice, but seems absolutely useless if I'm fighting non-casters, I don't get any benefit from the class against them. But that's where the Paladin comes in. I took the Beastmaster just for the pet, I really like it.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

RvR - No - we just started and are around level 10.

Leveling is the same - there are a lot of quests, but standard grinding is effective.

There are about 800-1000 players online most of the time, so there is decent RvR action (so I hear) and this Shard uses Classic Frontiers - so many people like that as well.

going to log back in to Rift soon - see what changes for me at level 10.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

Hrm, ok druid/justicar/warden is quite nice. Healing/damaging pet, self heals on damage done, some instant heals and good damage. Fun soloing combo so far.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

I am on as Zaimat on Seastone Defiant side (level 5 currently, restarted bard/bladedancer combo with different specs). I added bloodletter as friend but Dagda says different faction.. I am assuming you're on guardian side? Come join on defiant before you get too high?

Going to try to get to 10 to try the first warfront for a bit.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I actually started on a different server, I didn't like the defiant side at all and wanted to be on PvE server. I'm really not going to fool myself and play on a PvP server. It just detracts from games for me.