NEW MMO: Rift : Open Beta for 6 days (Feb 15) Register NOW!

Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

I got over the weekend to Level 18. I had just got to the point where I could afford a mount (had to stop playing yesterday afternoon) and understand a lot of the core rogue class mechanics.

Overall I enjoyed the game, definately the whole rift/invasion PvE stuff is a big improvement over the public quests that Warhammer had. The fact you could just jump in the game and participate in these raid groups makes them easy and fun/profitable.

The PvP warfront (L10-19) was nothing special or new but another way to xp and fight vs real players which was good to have in the game.

I only saw one instance of World PvP, a few L35+ Guardians had invaded one of the outer towns I had moved to turn in a quest. I died of course on my own then they got overrun quickly by some defiant players. Can't say I really experienced it.

Now what's lacking in the game is the RvR/Battlegrounds as in DAoC.

There is a thread on their forums now with 700+ responses and apparently one of the game producers has said if enough people want, they will consider adding an open RvR zone. I think that would be great if this option was available on PvE servers, that would be most similar to DAoC (more so than the PvP ruleset/server).

I haven't pre-ordered yet, I am considering (from Direct2Drive with the 20% discount tonight, see my previous post). But hoping to hear from Bloodletter also before deciding if I want to give it a go.
Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

Although the game was entertaining, it was not unique enough or RvR enough to peek my interest enough to enter in to another Time Sink.

Game has merit, but I don't be ordering it. To much like Warhammer for my taste.

Maybe next game or if this game evolves enough.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Yeah I think those are all valid points.

I did pre-order the game, figured since I am not playing anything else right now I'll see the game a bit further and see the direction they are heading. I think I'll enjoy at least for a few months playing casually before spring/summer starts.

Will keep you updated.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

Well, I'll be playing too. I don't know if you want to start on a PvE realm, but I'll start on one if you'd like. I just don't like PvP realms, not a fan of being ganked while I'm trying to level up.

I'm kind of set on a bard, but I could be flexible on that.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

Had lunch with Drudery today. Mentioned the game. He is on the same train of thought - if something cool is out there, he will make the time. Otherwise, he is busy doing other things.

Stew say "Hi" Raf.

We both hope this game proves to be better then I am thinking it is.

I purchase Star Trek Online (Pre-Order) - - after the Beta - I never installed the actual game. So not going to make that same mistake with Rift. Not until it is obviously a great game/concept.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Dagda wrote:I don't know if you want to start on a PvE realm, but I'll start on one if you'd like. I just don't like PvP realms, not a fan of being ganked while I'm trying to level up.

I'm kind of set on a bard, but I could be flexible on that.
I am still unsure about the server type. There are lots of pros/cons to both. We should chat on IRC tomorrow evening before the headstart begins the day after.

Pros PvE vs PvP:
- Seperate PvE area, if RvR zone is implemented (non-instanced) and enough people RvR'd on the server this would be better than current World PvP format/servers.
- Level in open world areas from 21-50 without ever being bothered

Cons PvE:
- I don't think I'll play much once I hit level 50 for the PvE content. Even though I enjoy, PvE for me has to lead to RvR goals to keep me hooked better items or better abilities gained via PvE for PvP use).
- Instanced PvP warfronts will not hold my interest very long I think and is more likely to reward bad players who play a lot vs skill/smarts to progress PvP soul/gain favor.

Pros PvP vs PvE:
- Would be more fun end game for me unless an RvR zone is implemented on PvE servers. Faction based world PvP is the most dynamic/fun thing that can happen in the game night in/night out (unless they implement Daoc style RvR zone)
- A lot of DAoC players are going to PvP server and making inclusive clans, we could join a clan like this, so we wouldn't be on our own.

Cons PvP:
- Huge Population imbalance could lead the server to die in the long term
- PvP players may quit/leave if world PvP doesn't pan out as advertised (if the action isn't hopping)
- Large number zerg fights may cause the server to crash/lag in the first few months until they adjust (was a big issue in warhammer)

The new Rift patcher for the headstart (you have to uninstall the beta patcher):
http://www.riftgame.com/en/headstart/index.php
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Bloodletter wrote:Had lunch with Drudery today. Mentioned the game. He is on the same train of thought - if something cool is out there, he will make the time. Otherwise, he is busy doing other things.

Stew say "Hi" Raf.
We both hope this game proves to be better then I am thinking it is.
Good to hear he is keeping busy!
Bloodletter wrote:I purchase Star Trek Online (Pre-Order) - - after the Beta - I never installed the actual game. So not going to make that same mistake with Rift. Not until it is obviously a great game/concept.
Yeah it's too bad. That was major fail more so than warhammer.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Dagda wrote:I'm kind of set on a bard, but I could be flexible on that.
I like playing melee dual wielder types. So Paragon or Bladedancer are the obvious choices. 2 rogues have a lot of synergy together so probably would be the path to take.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I think that last Con's list is where my issue lies. The two faction system lends itself to the idea of playing for whoever is best. I think if they leave it so that you can play both factions then they will have less of that problem. We'll see.
Site Admin
Raf

Official Rift Server List!

Post by Raf »

Official Rift Server List!

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.p ... erver-List!

They have a lot of PvP servers, 50/50 if you don't count the RP servers. I am a little surprised... If they are expecting that much PvP ruleset players, it means they will put considerable effort into developing it alongside PvE (a good sign).
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

Excellent.

I'm really much more biased towards PvE. The thing I hated about warhammer was the PvP aspect, the getting ganked while I tried to level. I absolutely understand that a lack of PvP doesn't work for you, but world PvP kills all the fun of a game to me. :-/ I'm likely going to play on either Belmont (since that's the name of the town my parents live in :P or Greybriar.

I'm a PvE player, I like doing instances and raids, I am looking for a replacement for WoW in that idea. I will probably play a bard/ranger for soloing and maybe as a secondary. Since I'm looking to raid and my strength is healing I'm either going chronomancer or I believe sentinel as my main.

If it looks like bards are going to be getting raid spots and that they aren't a popular class maybe I'll use that. I like that they brought back 'weaving' a little from EQ in that bards have short timer buffs that they should keep up during combat.

Sorry to be a pain about this, but PvP kills the game for me. It's why I don't play Arctic, I hate PvP, I hate what it does to me, I hate the anxiety. It doesn't relax me like a game should, and if I'm not getting enjoyment out of it - why am I playing a game.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

No worries I understand. I would prefer of course to play with you but at the same time I want to experience the PvP side of things as well (since there is no designated RvR zone as of now) and see if it's any good or if it's like warhammer.

I was hoping to see more of the world pvp in Beta to get a feel for it but hardly saw any enemy faction players except for one short period..

By the way I patched/downloaded the headstart client this morning. So it's up and ready.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Some interesting facts I didn't know about the different classes and GCD

Class mechanics:
http://www.riftseekers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Well they are up to 38 servers and the game is still in headstart/pre-orders. I wonder how it's going to be after March 1st.

Seastone (the unofficial daoc server) had 7 hour wait queue the past 2 nights. I settled on Tearfall (PvP ruleset) not knowing how it would turn out but it's been very nice. It's not as hardcore as some of the main PvP servers, mixture of PvE/PvP guilds/players.

I am up to 12 now with a Rogue on Guardian side, seeing the other side of things.
Scout
Dagda

Post by Dagda »

I'm on Gnarlwood, joined a casual raiding guild. Up to level 20 on my cleric, prime role is sentinel/warden/purifier - secondary role I'm settling on justicar/druid/shaman for AE dps and maybe tanking. Only problem with justicar is I blow through mana like mad.