darkfall release

Scout
renaud

darkfall release

Post by renaud »

End of January for euro release. I will be following up through release and decide to join closer to the 22nd.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showth ... Zc49G4sJ1Q
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Yeah I hope they hit a home run, rooting for the Indy game developers!

I'll definately be looking at how they do on release.
Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Scout
troggs

Post by troggs »

I've seen recently on mmorpg.com some people saying now they are going to publish the game themselves - that suggests publishers may have found the game unsellable...
It's better to have hopes low, and be pleasantly surprised, then have hopes high and be disappointed :)

Correction: looks like I was wrong, and they do have a publisher for EU release, but not for US one.
Luyce wrote:Yeah I hope they hit a home run, rooting for the Indy game developers!

I'll definately be looking at how they do on release.
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

Well....preorder has opened and the NDA has been lifted and from all the comments I've been reading on the darkfall forums the game looks like a flop. I will definitely not be getting the game off the bat - if/when they open North American servers I may reconsider based upon changes between now and then:

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showth ... 471&page=5
Scout
troggs

Post by troggs »

Indeed :(
Is there anything else coming out in 2009 worth waiting?
Sometimes I get bored enough to start thinking about trying Eve, but each time I look at the guide, sheet number of spreadsheets scares me away :)
renaud wrote:Well....preorder has opened and the NDA has been lifted and from all the comments I've been reading on the darkfall forums the game looks like a flop. I will definitely not be getting the game off the bat - if/when they open North American servers I may reconsider based upon changes between now and then:

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showth ... 471&page=5
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

List of upcoming MMOs

My expectations are not as high for Darkfall Online vs. what I was expecting for Warhammer Online.
We shall see how it actually turns out, but if the mechanics are good it will find it's niche. Very few good PvP mmo's.

I wish Mythic would have made daoc 2 and didn't dumb down warhammer so much to make it a half-assed WoW clone.
Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

Yeah I am not sure what my expectations were....but from all the leaks, beta comments, pics, etc....it seems like it is going to be pretty lame. The only viable template right now is to have a pole arm and a bow and a wand and use all 3. You can't go straight magery, theres no difference between weapons besides their arc - each weapon has the same skills (knockback, seize) so theres no reason not to use the biggest weapon. I always judge a game based on how well it handles rogues and so far no game has done well with this....and it almost appears you cant even be one in darkfall.

It kind of looks to me like they just need to get it released to get some cash coming in and hopefully they intend on patching in some new skills and spells and abilities over the next few months but I'm not holding my breath.

That list of upcoming mmos looks pretty sad. I remember when I was looking forward to dark and light and darkfall as saviors and now the horizon is bleak.....maybe the new blizzard mmo will be a full open pvp game? *cross fingers*
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

Bummer to hear about Darkfall. Better to hear about it now vs. later.

Eve - - is slow. Since the skill training is "set", it does take a while to do what you may want to do.

I have been doing missions. ALL missions are just like DAoC Kill Tasks, so there is not much "Fun" involved. They do offer a venue to experiment with your ship's configuration, but excitment it is not.

Although I still enjoy the game very much, it is not "quick start" type of game.

1 nice thing, a strong 5 man can make an impact in many aspects of the game. A well organized/strong 5-8 man can have a really good time being a merc group, etc....
Scout
troggs

release?

Post by troggs »

So, looks like Feb 25 magic date finally arrived.
Has anybody tried the game yet?
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

not yet- i will keep an eye on the forums....doesnt look like its going too smooth though:

vBulletin Message

7.00PM GMT

We've solved the problem some players in human areas were experiencing not being able to log back in after a crash. We're looking into an issue some players are reporting about getting an "account not active" message. Finally we have a handle on the issue that caused us to bring down the server the last time, and we're in the process of fixing it.

3.00 PM GMT

We didn’t manage to completely eliminate the sync issue affecting players in the game earlier today. Our real-time monitor alerted us of this as soon as we brought up the server and players started entering the game. We need to take more time to address this. There is no ETA as of yet. We’ll keep you posted on any developments.

The Stratics IRC server irc.stratics.com has numerous channels available for chatting about the game and the ongoing issues. The #Darkfall channel is currently moderated to prevent chatting so we may use it as an update method, however there are several other open channels such as #dfchat and #darkfall-tmp. The forums will remain closed until the game is fully available so that we may use this front page as a reliable update method as well.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

OUCH!

Sounds painful.