Raf

Star Trek Online Gameplay Information here

Post by Raf »

Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Subscription details revealed.

Cryptic Studios has announced the subscription options for Star Trek Online. The announced prices for launch include a 1, 3, and 6 month plan and multiple payment methods for players to choose from, including credit card and game card options.

Prior to release, Cryptic will also be offering a lifetime ($239.99 USD) and 12-month ($119.99) subscription deal for pre-orders. The deal includes a reduced monthly rate, two additional character slots, and for lifetime subscribers a new playable race: The Borg.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

STO: PvP review by Gamespy

"Players gain access to the Klingon faction once they've reached a minimum level of progress on their Federation characters (currently set at level 6 in the beta)"

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/star-trek-onli ... 070p1.html
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

as a Borg, I want to be able to rampage through normal space and kill everything I see... or atleast attack it.
Site Admin
Raf

Admirals Only - An STO Endgame Q&A with Zeke Sparkes

Post by Raf »

Ten Ton Hammer: Does the endgame have different PvP content than the rest of the game?

Zeke: Not at launch. Basically you will be in a bracket of the high level characters and then you will get a different reward system, still based on the medals system like before, but a different caliber of medal that you get for competing against the other admirals.

Ten Ton Hammer: How long do you expect it will take the average player to get to the endgame?

Zeke: It’s roughly about 80 hours I think for the average player.

Admirals Only - An STO Endgame Q&A with Zeke Sparkes
The Whole Interview: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/79456
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

WoW - 80 Hours - - that is short IMO....
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

pretty funny article by a former daoc producer

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/l ... nline.html

some quote from comments about his article:

"Hey I'm a free market guy. Good for Cryptic. They found the IP with the greatest amount of suckers who have deep wallets."

"The truth is that Crypitc is looking for the people you are trying to satire. They know their game is a pile of sh!t, half assed, paper thin game with lots of pretty graphics and some IP related materails. They don't care! They are only looking to see how many lifetime subs they can get out of people cause selling 20 months of subs on the first day you play is really cool when the game won't last much beyond 12 months.

This, along with the push to make games more Casual (I blame consoles for that), is why gaming hasn't moved forward since Crysis. Nobody cares about pushing the boundaries and bring new concepts out cause too many suckers are willing to drop cash into shallow, PVE oriented games."
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

Although that review was complete - it was way to nice.

I agree that the elements that are in the game are at least reasonable, but the fact that so many elements are absent is what is killing me.

No Community
No Economy
No Crafting or Manufacturing
No Random Encounters to Farm
No need to play with others

This is just to many elements that I look forward in a MMO to be missing for me to enjoy the game.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

-
What they are planning after release:
http://www.startrekonline.com/upcoming_content
-

After the last patch in the open-beta, was a marked improvement in fixing the bugs. Things seemed to be a lot smoother. I didn't get high enough to play the PvP though.

Although I bet what will make/break the game is going to be the PvE experience, as long as it doesn't get stale. If they keep adding content and if it requires a fleet or groups/teams.
Scout
Bloodletter

Post by Bloodletter »

I own it, still have not loaded it.

still bummed about it.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

-
-
Looks like some people have already reached end-game in 50-60 hours of play time:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showth ... p?t=101908
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

How to unlock Klingons:

(1) Advance your Federation character to Liuetenant Grade 6 (Level 6), at which point the option for Klingon play will unlock.

or

(2) Run missions with your Federation character until you are able to do the mission "Stop the Signal", which also unlocks Klingon play when completed. This method is available as early as Liuetenant Grade 4 (Level 4) if you follow this guide, and is the fastest known method for unlocking the option to create a Klingon character.

Option 2: What is the quickest way to achieve this, you ask?

Here is a run-down of the missions that lead to "Stop the Signal", including an estimate of the time required to complete each mission (solo play):

Tutorial - 15 minutes
SS Azura - 15 minutes
Diplomatic Mission - 20 minutes
Hide and Seek - 30 minutes
SB 24 Fleet Action - 10 minutes
SB 24 Ground Mission - 25 minutes

Stop the Signal - 20 minutes (This mission unlocks Klingons when you finish it, sometimes requires a relog to take effect, or if you have unspent skill points you need to spend them and then the faction will unlock for play).

It requires approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes of time to achieve this goal. I have noticed alot of posters seem unaware that you are able to unlock using the method described above, and seem to think you are forced to wait until reaching L6, which is not the case. If you want to unlock the Klingons as fast as possible, this is the easiest and quickest method available.