Play Dark Age of Camelot again?

Site Admin
Raf

Play Dark Age of Camelot again?

Post by Raf »

-
Any interest in re-activating daoc and giving it a go on Hibernia (new characters, play casually)?

I think the game has changed for the better since we last played and may be worth trying again. High population on server, some changes to new frontiers/siege. Easy to level and RvR (do thid/molvik on the way to 50).

I do have a L50 Vampiir from before I quit that could be used for pLeveling if needed also.

I checked the other RvR MMO's but nothing seems to come close to daoc still. I wouldn't mind playing STO though if you are going to Rich.
Harper of no small water - Clan Wild - DragonHeart
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

I keep checking in just to see what you are all up to. I've been dicking around with my friends WoW account and starting to get bored again (just like the first time once I get to around 55 I stop wanting to play).

I haven't played daoc in ages and ages but if you guys are going to reactivate it would give me an excuse to figure out how to bootcamp/xp load it up.
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

What server would you play on?

Last time I played i had a nightshade and a druid. I always like the stealthy classes but if the plan is to make a small strike force if I recall correctly they arent really best for groups (even though I still prefer it)? I also had a druid which got incredibly boring since I was essentially a buffbot that was played by a human. Any suggestions? I tend to like high crit melee damage or non-pet oriented mage style but with some viability solo... vamps look pretty interesting?

Working on getting xp downloaded and installed and will probably dl/install the 14 day trial regardless of if anyone else plans on playing.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

-
-
If you re-activate you get 10 days free, 14 days for brand new accounts. Will post more later..
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

For servers, Padon had setup DragonHeart on Ywain 7 so I would propose this:

Ywain 7 for Albion
Ywain 8 for Hibernia
Ywain 9 for Midgard

Not sure what to play at this point, depends who else would play and what type of setup we want (definitely would like to play Hibernia though, as I hear they have the least numbers).. I like tanks usually but would depend on you guys as well.
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

Ive spent most of the day trying to figure out how to get bootcamp to work without my leopard install disks. I have given up temporarily and am giving WiNE a go. If this doesnt work I know I have my install disks at my apartment in NY but wont be able to get back there until after all this B.S. snow on the east coast stops.
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

And so you arent tied to Hib? Thats the realm I played last time and would not mind trying something else. Ive been browsing vn boards trying to figure what to play but I will need some advice from you guys based on what will work best in groups... I will definitely want to level a stealther but if its not going to work in group rvr then some other high dps caster/melee (not plate wearing i hate tanks)

Sorry for all the posts - Im excited and tired of stupid WoW. Hopefully a few other people are interested too.
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

Ok well I've given up on bootcamp but got it working in wine. I am currently patching up 50MB/3000MB. If I dont hear back I will start messing around on hibernia until theres more consensus.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Ywain servers are only for the housing part, it's all the same server for the rest pve/pvp. At peak it's capping at 4100 population. With big zergs going especially albion/midgard.

My preference would be to play Hibernia if starting new characters.. I believe there are realm buffer npcs now so a buff bot is not necessary. Vampiir is a cool class but they have no range (for siege fights) and reliant on power drain to load their abilities, so you have to manage your power and put up the buffs while fighting.
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

Ok well I've given up on bootcamp but got it working in wine. I am currently patching up 50MB/3000MB. If I dont hear back I will start messing around on hibernia until theres more consensus.
Site Admin
Raf

Some Links

Post by Raf »

Download client with all expansions activated (don't have to setup new account): http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/

Re-Activate account (10 days free):
https://accounts.eamythic.com/

If you have the last expansion (Labyrinth of the minotaur) you can save time:
Just replace the files in the main daoc directory with these:
http://wild.l3o.com/daoc.zip
and delete the login.dat file so the patcher updates, otherwise it won't connect to server
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

Do you still have your old account/characters?

I think the important criteria's are the following for choosing a class:
1. Got to love the playstyle and really enjoy the class premise
2. Classes that can buff (self or group) are a big asset
3. Classes that have range are better in siege/zerg surfing and to generate rps faster
4. Mix class group (that complement each other) vs stealthers group

Just for an example of a real useful caster class for both solo/small or 8 man group:
Mentalist (nuker, aoe CC/Amnesia, baseline stun, charm pet, heals, power regen, nearsight, remove mez, magic buffer) just can't buff or rez.

Daoc Charplan (really nice to see race/classes/skills/abilities)
http://daoctb.sourceforge.net/Charplan__EN.htm
Scout
renaud

Post by renaud »

my characters were from the very beginning, i have no idea how to even find out what my account was... i can try to hack my way in with some common logins but i doubt i will find them.

just spamhacked my way into it going through all the stupid names that i have used for accounts...and of course its my arctic imms name...account started 2002. i guess ill have a peek at whats actually on there when this patcher finishes up im at the 50%... theres definitely a druid and a nightshade and a couple of infiltrators that i was working on when i had penis-envy that hibernia sucked and albion ruled.
Site Admin
Raf

Post by Raf »

How to transfer characters to Ywain (includes your vault/equipment):

1. login old server
2. type /freexfer Ywain8 for Hibernia (or type /freexfer to see list of servers)
3. logoff that character and wait for email confirming the move (5-15 minutes)
4. If the character name is taken you will have a temporary name and a chance to pick a new one

For transferring guilds it's a bit more involved.

/level command is disabled on ywain, new characters all start at level 1, but it still works on old servers (if you had a character created)